Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Brunch by Candlelight Coffee House


Candlelight ambiance

          Breakfast is even better than usual when served around lunchtime. Known as brunch, it's one of the best meals because mimosas are traditionally involved. This weekend I joined my sister, brother in law and a very dear friend at coffee house and café – Candlelight for their weekend brunch. Nestled in the historical N. St. Mary's block of San Antonio, its exterior resembles more of a house than a restaurant, adding to it’s eclectic feel and originality. As you walk in, the wooden floors and warm interior immediately make you feel welcomed. Along with typical table seating, there are couches and comfortable chairs arranged near the windows – creating a relaxed environment perfect for some reading or study time. As an added perk, free wi-fi is also available so bring your iPads or laptops along for the visit!

French Toast
Seating is open and orders are placed at the wooden bar at the front of the restaurant, with menu items hand written on a chalkboard above. I perused the brunch menu deciding on the Smoked Salmon Scramble. The various dishes enjoyed by the group included the Candlelight Breakfast (with poached eggs), French Toast, and the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. For an extra $9.99 we all opted for the semi-bottomless mimosas to accompany our meals. As we waited for our food we sipped our brunch bubbly, partook in fun conversation and enjoyed the charming atmosphere.
Candlelight Breakfast feat. Poached Eggs
          As my food came out I excitedly snapped a few photos, as I’ve been known to do when my taste buds become excited at the sight of a beautiful meal. Camera aside – I began to enjoy my dish which included a healthy fruit cup and wheat bagel. The Smoked Salmon Scramble featured fluffy scrambled eggs with hearty cuts of smoked salmon. Much to my delight, there was no scrimping on the salmon and it’s flavor proved to be as delicious as I had hoped for. My friend exclaimed, “Is that cream cheese in the eggs?! I love that!!”. And yes, I will have to agree with him – I loved that too! Almost picturesquely placed into my eggs were morsels of cream cheese, adding to the savor of the dish as a whole. 

Smoked Salmon Scramble w/ fruit cup & whole wheat bagel
Within the included fruit cup were diced pieces of cantaloupe, honeydew melon and red grapes topped with a light sweet glaze and diced walnuts. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the bagels and toast accompanying each meal were of the wheat variety, rather than white. In my quest for healthier dieting, this has become an easy and necessary substitute for bread options. Needless to say, the reviews for the remaining dishes were stellar as my brunch companions gobbled up their meals.
Mimosa Toast!

 I foresee many more upcoming visits to Candlelight and look forward to many more bubbly brunches with family and friends. The dinner menu also features many healthy and savory options, which I anxiously await enjoying within this inviting atmosphere that is decidedly, a San Antonio original.

Visit their website here or visit their location for some savory salvation of your own!
3011 N. St. Mary's, 78217



Photo & Story by L. Carpenter