Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Year and a Fresh Face

        It is a new year and as everyone is busy making resolutions and life changes, we at Savory Salvations are making some changes as well. Actually it is an addition. A choice addition, really, of a fresh new blogger with a serious appetite. We are so thrilled to introduce Lena Carpenter as our newest blogger for Savory Salvations. She is a girl about town in Texas who enjoys the very good life & fine fare. As a Business Analyst for a major insurance company, her fast paced life calls for dining out quite frequently. She also makes time for family and always enjoys the large, delicious dinners.
        Life has not always been a bowl of cherries for Lena. She, like the rest of us, has had her ups and downs and most recently with her health. Don't let that beautiful face & waif-like figure of hers fool you. We are both firm believers in skinny does not equal healthy and her story is proof. Here, she candidly shares her healthy motivation with us all.
Lena:  I've always been a girl that just loves food. Looking back, I remember eating at family holidays and meals, feasting away as my aunt told my cousins “Look at Lena – she eats everything on her plate!” as they picked away as most children do. To this day my cousins use this story as an example of how I was the “model” child at family gatherings.
            As I grew older my love of food grew, while luckily – my waistline did not. As a child and a teenager I was constantly teased for being too thin. While most would see this as a blessing, having a fast metabolism also lead to unhealthy eating habits that would very quickly catch up with me. In my mid-20’s I went through a series of health crises, beginning with a herniated disc in my neck. As a result, it seemed, my blood pressure began to skyrocket in response to elevated pain levels in my body. As the months went by, this began raising red flags with my doctors who eventually referred me to a cardiologist. It seemed my family history of high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes combined with poor eating habits had caught up with me, as I was prescribed medication to treat hypertension.
            I am fortunate to work for a company that stresses preventative healthcare and provides annual wellness exams to alert employees of any potential health risks. Several years ago I also realized that along with my high blood pressure, my cholesterol levels were not within the normal range. In fact, they were borderline high. I began to realize that the choices I was making to feed my thin frame were not the smartest, nor the healthiest and that, for the sake of my life, I needed to make a change immediately.

Staying active has always been a part of my lifestyle but I began adding fish, fresh vegetables and fruit into my diet. When our next wellness exam at work came around, I  rather nervously, awaited my results. This time was different. Each category rated as “normal” and several as “optimal,” including my previously high cholesterol. It was then I realized that in making smarter choices and simple adjustments to my everyday eating habits I could indeed take my health into my own hands.
     With this being said, I will not pretend that the little girl who loved to eat everything on her plate does not still live inside me. While I do attempt to make healthy choices the majority of the time, I do still enjoy a great burger or Mexican food from time to time and my occasional ravenous appetite can still shock those around me. My rule of thumb is to enjoy what you eat, and splurge in moderation. Take charge of your personal health because no one will do it for you.
Lena's latest photo tweet from @starbucks. #obsession
Eat what you love, but love your body first and foremost.

Follow Lena on Twitter @PandaGirLena to savor vicariously through her tweets!